Article I – Name
Mount Jordan Middle School Community Council (SCC)
Article II – Laws
All Utah School Community Councils function under the following laws and statutes:
Utah Code Ann.
- Title 53F-2-404: School Land Trust Program Distribution of Funds
- Title 53G-7-1202: School Community Councils. Duties. Composition Election Procedures and Selection of Members
- Title 53G-7-1203: School Community Councils. Open and Public Meetings Requirements
- Title 53G-7-1206: School LAND Trust Program
- Title 53G-10-407: Positive behaviors plan – Positive behaviors specialist stipend – Reports
- Title 53G-7-1301: Teacher and students success plan
Utah State Board Rule
- R277-477: Distributions of Funds from the Trust Distribution Account and Administration of School LAND Trust Program
- R277-491-1: School Community Councils
Canyons School District Policy
- Policy 700.01 – School Community Councils
Article III – Standing Rules
- Elections for SCC representatives
- Notification of available SCC parent member seats, election dates and procedure for declaring candidacy for the SCC will be given with registration information from Mount Jordan Middle School, posted on the school website, and posted in the office.
- Interest sheets will be collected and parents contacted for verification during the two weeks prior to the beginning of the school year.
- If the number of new parent candidates for open positions keeps the maximum number to twelve parents or less, all candidates will be allowed to serve on the SCC, for a maximum of twelve parent members.
- If adding all new parent candidates would exceed the maximum of twelve parent members, an election will be held.
- Elections will be held at the school during the week of Back to School Night.
- All elected positions are for two-year terms.
- The SCC will meet monthly September through May. The majority of the council must approve of canceling and/or calling additional meetings. Meeting rescheduling will be done through email and then posted on the website when necessary.
- The election for a chairperson, a vice-chair, and a recorder will occur in the first meeting of the school year in September. The Chair will serve through the summer months and coming school year, assist with SCC elections, conduct the coming year’s meetings.
- Meetings Norms:
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely and finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda.
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations.
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times.
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room during meetings.
- If, for some reason, a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Chair or Co-chair prior to the meeting.
- Leadership positions include:
- Chair: creates agendas and conducts the meetings. Other duties as outlined in CSD policy and statute.
- Vice-Chair: Works with the Chair and conducts the meeting at request of chairperson. Will be elected from either the parent or school employee group.
- Recorder: Takes notes at the meeting and creates the minutes for approval by the SCC. Is also responsible for recording the meeting.
- A patron may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Chair at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by SCC include, but not limited to:
- Teacher and Student Success Plan (TSSP)
- School LAND Trust Plan
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs, professional development and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
- Safe Walking Route Plan
- Digital Citizenship Plan
- School Safety Plan
- Positive Behavior Plan
- Electronic Device Plan
- Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personnel issue
- Individual student information
- These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.