Mt. Jordan School Community Council
November 2, 2022 Minutes
Welcome & Call to Order
Present: James Barron (Parent), Cassie Smith (Parent), Harmony Jones (Parent), Marie Seager (Parent), Ryan Durant (Principal), Jacey Wickham (Staff), Ashley Anjewierden (Staff)
Absent: Brittany Donaldson (Parent), Tim Donaldson (Parent), Valeria Garcia (Parent)
September meeting minutes review and approval
- Motion – Cassie / 2nd Harmony
- Up Coming, this month review of data, discuss any follow up on digital citizenship. The School Safety report and Digital Citizenship report are due in December and would need to be approved today to vote to dismiss the December meeting.
- Data Review
- TSSP/Land Trust
- School climate goal, to have 75% of MJMS students on track with D’s and F’s.
- Review of data shows below target, near 50%, however with a deeper understanding of the data shows the influx of ELL, as shown by the need for an additional period of ELD1 as shown in the budget report, has an influence on the cumulative school goal. In contrast the EWS shows fewer, small percentage, at the end of T1 2022 than T4 2022 of last school year. Councilors are working with students identified in T4 of 2022 as well as working with teachers in Kid Talk program where facility works together to best support these students.
- After school program is well attended and facility is witnessing students finishing missing or late work.
- TSSP/Land Trust
- Significant amount of budgeted amount has been spent on after school program. It is well attended, and kids are utilizing the time to get missing work in or doing retakes.
- TSSP used 15K to add an additional ELD1 course was added after the quarter end due to high number of students. No TSSP amendment was needed due to approval for use
- Land Trust- Funding has been only used on the additional councilor so far. November will see further expenses due to subs for AVID teacher planning.
- School Safety & Digital Citizenship Reports Due 12/16
- Discussed Digital Citizenship and approved in October
- School safety report safe-schools on CSD website has videos shown to students, also shows the drill schedule.
- Safe Utah was brought up.
- Website was reviewed.
- Parent concerns for safety, school specific concerns:
- James brought up lighting on the crosswalk on Mountaineer Lane, if a spotlight on the flagpole could be added to provide light on that crossing. Mr. Durant took note and would look into if that would be something we would add to the report to the district. No other concerns were made.
- Motion to approve – all (Item Complete)
- Drills this month: Shelter-in-place 11/16
- 8th grade CCR appointments are starting up
- Early warning system identified students from last year, this years 7&8th grade. Working with targeted students.
- ABC Q1 competition wrapped up, Q2 is more individual growth focused. 6th grade will be targeted with mentors for goal setting and
- Writing and taking note strategies in WICOR
- IPOP evaluations are going on
- AVID student council is starting up, Student council is working on Mountaineer market.
Community Schools Update
- Lia Batchcoff -Resigned
- Dental Clinic rescheduled from October to the January 4th.
- Program can benefit from insured students attending, as this will help with enabling uninsured students to be seen.
- Thanksgiving- Ruth Nava has stepped in on this program, 26 families have signed up so far. Signups are due by the 11th
- Response has been good for Puertas Abiertas, there will be one this month at Jordan High.
- Teaching civics for information in media literacy PD – $600 stipend from district, middle schools are incentivizing to get petter participation. Approximately 5 faculty are interested, utilizing $2k from TSSP.
- James will follow up with Tim and Brittany Donaldson prior to January meeting on a continued roll with SCC.
Harmony motion to dismiss December meeting, James to second. Mr. Durant will notify if other items come up of council concern.
Harmony motion to adjourn, Cassie second
Next Meeting: January 4, 2023