Mount Jordan Middle School Community Council Bylaws
Elections for SCC Representatives:
- Notification of election dates and procedure for declaring interest in serving on the SCC will be given with the registration information from Midvale Middle School.
- Interest sheets will be collected and parents contacted for verification during the two weeks prior to the beginning of the school year.
- If there are fewer than 6 candidates, all parents will be allowed to serve on the SCC, for a maximum of 12 parent members.
- If there are more than 6 candidates or if adding all parents would exceed the maximum of 12 parent members, an election will be held.
- Elections will be held at the school during the week of Back to School Night.
- All elected positions are for 2 year terms.
The SCC will meet monthly September through April, excluding December. The majority of the council must approve of canceling and/or calling additional meetings. Meeting rescheduling will be done through email and then posted on the website when necessary.
The election for a chairperson and a recorder will occur in the last meeting of the school year in April. The Chair will serve through the summer months and coming school year, assist with SCC elections, conduct the coming year’s meetings.
A co-chair will be elected in the first meeting of the new school year in September.
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely and finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda.
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations.
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times.
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room during meetings.
- If for some reason a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Chair or co-chair prior to the meeting.
Leadership positions include:
- Chair: Creates agendas and conducts the meetings. Other duties as outlined in CSD policy
- Co-Chair: Works with the Chair and conducts the meeting at request of chairperson. Will be elected from either the parent or school employee group.
- Recorder: Takes notes at the meeting and creates the minutes for approval by the SCC. Is also responsible for recording the meeting.
A patron may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Chair at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by SCC include, but not limited to:
- School Improvement Plan (CSIP)
- School LAND Trust Plan
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs, professional development and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
- Safe Walking Route
Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personnel issues
- Individual student information
These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.